Mold Exposure in Pets and its Signs

Pets, like humans, can be exposed to mold and suffer from its harmful effects. Mold is a common fungus found in damp indoor environments that can cause discomfort and illness if present in large enough quantities. If your pet shows signs of respiratory problems or skin irritation, it could be due to mold exposure. In this article, we’ll look at the signs of mold exposure in pets and how to prevent it.

Types of Mold

There are a variety of different types of mold that can cause health issues in pets. The most common type is Stachybotrys chartarum, the black mold. This mold is usually found in areas with high humidity and poor air circulation, such as basements and crawl spaces. If inhaled, it releases toxins called mycotoxins into the air that can be hazardous to both humans and animals. So if you are wondering, can mold make your pet sick, then learning everything you can about the type of mold and its potential health effects is important.

Signs of Mold Exposure in Pets

Pets suffering from mold exposure may show various symptoms, depending on the type of mold present and how much the pet was exposed to. Some common signs include:

-Respiratory issues include coughing, sneezing, wheezing, or difficulty breathing.

-In extreme cases, skin irritation, including redness, flaking, bumps, and even skin lesions.

-Eye irritation, including redness, tearing, and discharge.

-Appetite changes such as decreased appetite or refusal to eat.

-Behavioral changes such as lethargy or uncharacteristic aggression.

How to Identify if Your Pet Has Been Exposed to Mold?

If you suspect your pet has been exposed to mold, you must immediately take them to the vet. To properly diagnose a mold-related illness, your vet must do tests such as skin scrapings and blood work. They may also recommend an x-ray or MRI to look for any lung damage.

Inspecting the areas your pet frequents for signs of mold is also essential. Check for any discolored walls, musty odors, or visible mold growth. If you find it in your home, take steps to get rid of it and improve air circulation as soon as possible.

If your pet has a mold-related illness, the vet can prescribe medications or treatment to help them recover. Reducing your pet’s exposure to mold and taking other steps to improve their environment are also essential to prevent future problems.


Mold exposure in pets can be a severe issue that requires prompt attention. For more help identifying or preventing mold-related illnesses, consider consulting with a mold specialist in Atlanta with years of experience dealing with these issues. Taking steps such as improving air circulation and eliminating visible mold is also essential to preventing future problems.