What is ICSI fertility treatment?
IVF is one of the most famous fertility treatments in which fertilization is done externally by mixing the sperm and egg under a controlled environment after they are retrieved from the male and female partners. ICSI fertility treatment is also a form of IVF in which fertilization is done through a specialized technique. ICSI, or Intracytoplasmic sperm injection, is a type of IVF treatment used to treat infertility in which sperm is injected directly into the egg for fertilization and embryo formation. IVF and ICSI use Assisted Reproductive Technologies or ART, where the fertilization procedure is done and kept under professionals’ observation. Dr. Shweta, the best IVF doctor in Noida, and her assisting staff at Zeeva clinic can help you fulfill your wish of successfully becoming a parent through IVF or ICSI.
Who can benefit from ICSI?
For certain circumstances, doctors may prefer the ICSI procedure, some of which are listed below.
- Though ICSI fertility treatment can be opted for by any couple, in case of couples who are not able to conceive due to male fertility issues are recommended using ICSI. Male fertility issues like low sperm count or poor quality of sperm can be solved through ICSI fertility treatment.
- In some cases, the eggs do not fertilize through the standard IVF process, even when the sperm and egg are in good health. ICSI is a good choice in such cases as well.
- Men paralyzed or who had an irreversible vasectomy can also reproduce through ICSI fertility treatment.
- Some couples choose to get their sperm or eggs frozen, which can be used later for fertilization. Such sperm tend to get inactive. Also, due to freezing, the outer shell of eggs gets hard sometimes. These things can make it harder for fertilization to happen naturally. This problem can be solved through ICSI as it involves injecting the sperm directly into the egg’s cytoplasm.
- Retrograde ejaculation is when semen joins the bladder during orgasm instead of the usual ejaculation. In such cases, sperm is needed to be retrieved from the urine of the patient. This can be done through ICSI procedures.
Techniques used for ICSI fertility treatment
As described by Dr. Shweta, the best IVF doctor in Noida, ICSI fertility treatment usually involves the following techniques during its procedure.
- A special pipette is used for keeping and holding the egg, which is mature enough to be used for fertilization.
- The healthiest sperm from the collected semen is selected for further process.
- This sperm is then injected into the cytoplasm of the egg by using a tiny, hollow needle. This needle is known as a micropipette.
- After injecting the sperm, the needle is carefully removed from the egg’s cytoplasm.
- The embryos are allowed to develop under the supervision of clinic staff.
What happens before the main procedures?
According to Dr. Shweta, the best IVF doctor in Noida, the things that need to be taken care of before starting the main procedures of ICSI fertility treatment. The pre-requisite procedures performed under the supervision of doctors are as follows.
- Stimulation of the ovary is done by giving a series of hormonal injections to the woman to increase the production of eggs and promote their growth to make them more mature enough to be apt for fertilization.
- Eggs are retrieved from the female under careful observation through transvaginal ultrasound by a thin needle into the ovaries.
- After fertilization is done, the embryos are sorted to choose the best and healthiest embryo that is then implanted into the uterus of the female.
- A final pregnancy test is performed to know the outcome of the procedure.
What are the risks associated with ICSI fertility treatment?
Though ICSI fertility treatment has comparatively higher rates of success, it does not entirely guarantee a successful pregnancy. ICSI fertility treatment has risks, including damage to some eggs during the insertion of the needle. Chances of miscarriage or complications during pregnancy due to conceiving multiple babies are higher in ICSI fertility treatment.
The risks of certain congenital disabilities like Angelman syndrome, Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome, hypospadias, autism, and chromosome abnormalities can increase in children born after conceiving through ICSI fertility treatment. Dr. Shweta, the best IVF doctor in Noida, will explain to you all the pros and cons of the procedure to help you make your choice.