Anxiety Disorder – A Few Tips to Overcome it and Get a Life Back
With the changing lifestyle and habits of people, it is very easy for them to get caught by mental stress and tensions. Everyone is struggling so hard emotionally, financially and even professionally that the person loses his control over things at one point of time. Sometimes, the work, home, kids become so much to handle that it may not be possible to keep a balance between them. Due to any of these factors, many people experience anxiety and stress to a great extent.
What is anxiety?
Anxiety can be termed as a fear, worry and mental stress and it is experienced on an emotional side. A person thinks that he has no control over the things happening around him. It has been observed that the person gets anxious due to certain factors in his life. He may feel stressed due to loss of work, partner, child and other types of fear. He may also get panic attacks at some point of time, which he may not be able to deal with. Some physical symptoms of anxiety includes sweating, increased heartbeat, empty stomach, shortness of breath and others. Generally, five types of anxiety disorders are observed as mentioned below:
- Generalized Anxiety disorder (GAD) – In this type of anxiety, a person develops the fear even when there is nothing to worry about. It is also characterized by chronic anxiety.
- Panic disorder- In this type of anxiety, the person develops the intense fear due to repeated and unexpected incidents. Some of the physical symptoms of panic disorder include heart palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath and dizziness.
- Obsessive- Compulsive disorder (OCD)- It is an anxiety disorder, which gets trigged due to obsession or repetitive thoughts and behaviors. Some of the actions performed by the person may include washing hands, checking, counting and others. These actions may give temporary relief.
- Social phobia- It is a type of anxiety, in which the person feels uncomfortable in social gatherings as he feels too hard to express himself. Due to this, the person feels like staying alone as he becomes fearful about the social gatherings in daily life.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder(PTSD)- This type of anxiety disorder occurs after the trauma such as accidents, military combat and loss of dear ones. The person is unable to cope up with the current situation after undergoing trauma.
If you or any of your dear one is suffering from anxiety, you should take some preventive steps before it gets worst. The anxiety may affect a person’s metal well-being to a great extent. Some people take almost several months and years to get rid of these symptoms and attain mental health. That’s why, it is suggested to recognize the symptoms of this disorder as soon as it starts to happen. This way, you will be able to deal with it in a better manner.
Tips to get rid of anxiety disorder
Regardless of when you started to get the anxiety disorder, you can always start today and follow the below mentioned tips. You will be able to deal with the symptoms in a better manner.
The real cause of anxiety
In order to deal with this mental disorder, it is strongly recommended to know what is bothering you. You should first understand what is making you anxious. It is also a good idea to write down the cause. You have to deeply analyze your feelings and thoughts. You can also discuss with your friends and family members and let them know what exactly you are feeling. They can suggest you the best way to get rid of these thoughts because mostly, the negative thoughts cause anxiety.
Writing your feelings also help you in a great manner. By reading these feelings over and over again, you will feel tired of them and eventually forget about them. This way, you can get rid of anxiety on a permanently basis.
Relax and take a break from mental work
One of the best ways to deal with anxiety is to sit back and relax for some time. All you have to do is to sit down and take a deep breath when you get the anxiety attacks. It might be little challenging but eventually you will be able to control your emotions. You should think that you need not take any stress and stop doing too much of mental work.
Deep breathing helps you in many ways. If you are unable to sleep due to anxiety, you should perform deep breathing. It is quite effective and you will be able to fall asleep in a few minutes. By getting good night sleep, you can reduce the symptoms of anxiety to a great extent. You should focus on present rather than things in the past and future.
Deal with your own fears
Reportedly, anxiety comes with uncertainty about future. Some people fear of losing their jobs, loved ones and illness. All of these fears are baseless and no one can ever predict them. When it comes to life, we have no control on our future. Things just happen and you get good and bad experiences out of it. The person’s spirit and strength gets affected badly with anxiety. He may start to think that he will be unable to handle the life’s pressures.
The person should change his attitude and be thankful to things he owns such as he should be grateful that he has a good job, loving spouse and children. This way, he will change the way he looks at life and be able to get rid of negativity. If the fear is due to the real time circumstances, the person should take some actions about it without fear. If the company is firing employees, he should start to look for other job opportunities. If the spouse is not compatible, he should sit and discuss the real problems.
Anxiety may not be life-threatening but people may develop suicidal tendencies. To overcome anxiety, many therapists also offer helping hand to sufferers.
With the positive outlook about life, the person can stay away from mental illness. This is because; the feelings and thoughts contribute a lot in our mental well-being. You can easily win over mental disorders like anxiety.