No matter what is going on in life or how smoothly things may be going, losing or damaging your birth certificate can bring your life to a screeching halt. Indeed, birth certificates are used for things such as getting married, signing up for school, to sign up for social security benefits, and much more. Given this fact, it is almost always an urgent situation when you find yourself needing to order a new birth certificate. That said, the following is a closer look at how to order birth certificate online.
Methods of Ordering Your Birth Certificate
If you need to order a new birth certificate, you can do so in one of the two following ways:
- The Old-Fashioned Way: The most well-known method of ordering a new birth certificate is the old-fashioned way. This process involves downloading and filling outan application. From there, you need to provide the office you are contacting to receive your birth certificate with a clear copy of your state-issued ID.
You must then make a check or money order payable to the State Health Department and send the required fee of $12.
All payments and information must be mailed to:
Office of Vital Records
P.O. Box 1000
Richmond, VA 23218-1000
The process takes around 1-2 weeks, once the information and payment have been received.
- The New Age Way:Alternatively, if you do not want to use the old-fashioned method, you can try the new method. This method is preferred by many as it is much simpler than the old method. To start, go to the website: com and fill out the form to request a copy of your birth certificate. The process takes around 5-minutes and you will receive email updates throughout the process. After you have submitted the form, you will need to send in the proper documentation. This can be handled via email, fax, or mail it in to:
355 Columbus Ave. #4
San Francisco, CA 94133
Nevertheless, if you opt to mail them in, be sure to send the copies rather than the original documents; the documents will not be returned. The fees vary based on your intended turnaround time and are as follows:
- Standard Processing: This takes 20-30 business days; $33.
- Expedited Processing: This takes 10 to 14 business days; $33.00 (state/government fee) + $69.95 = $102.95.
- Immediate Processing: This takes 4 to 6 business days; $33.00 (state/government fee) + $99.95 = $132.95.
Ordering a new birth certificate can be an arduous task. Hopefully, this short guide will assist you in completing the process as quickly and as seamlessly as possible.